Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Thinking positively!

My sister, Juli, is her visiting. That in itself brings a smile to my face! She was able to come out for about 10 days this time. We are having a good time. Tomorrow we get to do our traditional shopping at Gordman's! I don't go unless we have family in town. It ends up being a treat for both of us!

I have had a not so nice experience this week with some internet fraud. It's amazing to me how dishonest people can be. I have started using cloth diapers, which Todd strongly dislikes. I have been purchasing them on a sight where you can get good used diapers to try at lower prices. Unfortunately a woman decided to scam some of us out of some money. So, now I am feeling very cautious and maybe a little paranoid about purchasing any more. I am having to file reports to the FBI and the IA local police. No fun!

But on a happier note...I really like these diapers. Todd on the other hand...does not. They can be messy but I am looking at the future when they save us money on diapers. And...I can re-sell them to someone who wants them when I am through with them. I see it as a win win situation. :) But...how do you convince Todd? He is very much a man of convenience when he can be. These cloth diapers are not necessarily convenient. I have to carry a wet bag (for dirty diapers), extra diapers (which are much thicker than disposables), and cloth wipes. Really, it isn't that much more. He just thinks that cleaning the dirty diapers is gross! Then there is a part of me that knows I will be losing some of my help if I continue with cloth. Todd is awesome at helping change diapers, among many other things. He had always been very helpful with the kids. So, if he doesn't like the cloth diapers he doesn't like to change them and...there goes some of my help. Oh...what to do...

This week we have gone to a Royals baseball game where they played against the Minnesota Twins. That was surprisingly fun! The boys really seemed to enjoy it. Max got tired after a while and wanted to go home, but did really well considering. The best part was that it was a really good game. TJ was cheering right along with everyone else. He was really into the game. It was so fun to see his excitement. And boy can he cheer loudly!!! I'm surprised he didn't lose his voice.

Today we went to the Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead in Kansas. We have gone there one other time and the kids really enjoyed it. So I thought they would like it again, but the excitement apparently wore off. It just didn't hold their attention like it did the first time. We suggested the KC Zoo for Friday but Todd didn't like that idea, so we decided that we will go the movies instead. We never get to go to the movies anymore because it just costs too much. This will be a fun treat for the kids.

Well, I think I will go sit on the couch with Todd and relax for a few minutes before I head to bed. I'm keeping a smile on my face and a prayer in my heart!

2 comments:

  1. wow. tryin the cloth. and a hubby who isn't crazy about it. hmmm...sounds familiar.

    :)

    Just thought I would post a couple of ideas for ya. Keep in mind I don't know what kind of diapers you are using, but it sounds like some sort of bummi/fuzzi bunz type.

    When we did cloth we:

    Would have never continued beyond the first week because of Brock's reticence, if not for the discovery of Gerber diaper liners. It is like a Downy sheet that you stick in the diaper when you put it on. Then when they poop it catches 'most' of it and then you can just simply throw it away. It makes for MUCH less clean up and sometimes none at all. Now, sometimes it doesn't catch it all like a blow out or those times they are in a weird position. But for the most part it works really well. Brock has said several times that that made the difference for him.

    I also kept a stash of diapers in the car in a 'gonna be out a while bag'. This way I could carry only one or two in the diaper bag and it wouldn't be so much when you were out. Obviously, this wasn't the case for things like the zoo where you can't go back to the car; but for things where you are running errands all day or at friends it can be nice to not have such a huge bag.

    We had two trash cans in the room. Originally we had a diaper pail, but found that not as convenient as just one of those trash cans that is tall and oval/circular where you step on the pedal at the bottom and it flips open. We had a large one for diapers and a small one for diaper liners. :)

    I was ubber dilegent to wash the diapers at least every 3 days so that way the room/house never smelled as that was important to Brock too.

    oh, and on the garbage pails... this way you don't have to buy expensive pails. You can simply find a cheap can (like at the dollar store) and use grocery sacks from target and throw them away witht he diaper liners. free. Oh, and for the larger one with the diapers I researched and found these great bags that were waterproof that were made for diapers with a drawstring. I would put those inside of the garbage pail and then when it was time for the diapers to wash it went in right along with it. Saved on trash bags and they come in colors so that was sorta fun. :)

    Oh, the diaper liners I got at Babies R Us, or you can find the online for cheap.

    One thing I would do differently is that if we were going to be at the zoo I would just do disposables for that. Garrett had to be switched to those for a time because of allergies and it was soooo much better to not have to haul around a dirty diaper all day. yuck. (There were sometimes when we were traveling if the diaper was particulary gross we just had to throw it away because there was no way that could travel all day in a hot car.) I used the eco friendly disposables, but you could do whatever and then when you were out the mess/bulky bag woudln't be any issue.

    I will tell you though that part of the reason I was so adamant of not using them at all for Careena was I was concerned that if Brock used them he would never want to go back. Now, he's used to it and it doesn't bother him. Well, not that much.

    The other thing is that I just had to realize that one of the prices I would pay for my choice to do this was that Brock wouldn't change as many. He was REALLY good about doing and doing it in many situations. However, when it was really bad or we were out and about or at a friends house the job usually fell to me, because I was better at it, not as grossed out by it...and so on.

    But I know Todd. I while I am sure he is feeling just like Brock did; I am also sure that he will still be helpful. Maybe just a little less so--but only in this arena. And maybe with the diaper liners it wouldn't be so bad?

    So...there's my two sense. For what its worth. Have a great time with your sister and let me know how everything else is going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara! Which brand of cloth diapers do you like? I've been thinking about going to cloth when we get another foster baby. I've started looking around a little bit online. I don't think Dan will like the idea any more than Todd does:), but maybe he'll get used to it.

    ReplyDelete