Monday, September 28, 2009

Grease and grime galore...Oh my!

Have you ever noticed that the more kids you have the less house work gets done? I am noticing that the necessities are taken care of while the things that are less important get pushed aside. My kitchen floor happens to be one of those items that has been pushed aside. So, today I was looking at my white floor thinking, "Boy it doesn't look very white anymore". I decided it was the perfect day to change that.

I hate using chemicals, but sometimes they are a blessing. I got out the vinegar and began scrubbing. The gray grime remained on the floor. The dirt pushed around a bit, along with some cat hair and I sighed and headed to the laundry room to find something better to clean with.

Mop and Glo. I'm thinking...this has to work. I hate this nasty gray grime on my floor. It's embarrassing. I squirted some on the floor and began scrubbing......Nothing. What's the point of this stuff anyway!

Ugh! Back to the laundry room I trudge. I stared at my shelves full of cleaning supplies and checked each one off the list. Nothing was going to work. But wait...
Up the stairs I go...

This time I returned with Greased Lightening in hand. I squirted it on the floor and took a deep breath. I started scrubbing and miraculously the grime began to lift easily from the floor; like erasing a chalk board. I saw white floor!!! It was so dirty that the mop kept smearing this nasty sludge all around, like mud. So, back and forth I went to the sink to rinse out the saturated mop. And back to the floor I returned to scrub away some more gray grime. I had to do go over the spots a few times before the gray completely disappeared. Gross!

But one thing I remembered before I embarked on this mission was that Greased Lightening is potent. I opened the windows and let the breeze blow. It is pleasant and windy today. There is a nice brisk breeze in the air bringing the smells and thoughts of autumn.

If you are in a confined space, when you use this stuff, you may start gagging and coughing uncontrollably. It is nasty. But who, may I ask, wants their white floors to look gray. Not me. So, sometimes those chemicals I don't like very much are a blessing.

My floor is now clean. My mind relaxed and a little more at peace. Yes...cleaning makes me feel better! I accomplished something with my day.

1 comment:

  1. Your cleaning stories always make me smile. In a couple of days just give the boys damp washcloths to step on and let them skate around the kitchen on them--you get a clean floor and they get to laugh and play! It ought to work once or twice before they catch on and refuse to do it again (at least it worked that way at my house!)

    ReplyDelete