Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I AM...A STAY-AT-HOME MOM!!!

As I ran around...crazy...which is normal in our home...picking up the random toys and articles of clothing left by our two year old...I began pondering the importance of my job.

I have heard many people complain and make nasty comments about stay-at-home moms. I love this one...All they do is sit on the couch all day eating bon-bons.

To those who actually think those ridiculous things...I've not EVER had a bon-bon...in my life. Not only that, but my backside rarely has the pleasure of sitting on one of my comfy couches. My day ends when my children are tucked snuggly into their warm beds...and then, and only then, I am able to snuggle into my own bed and enjoy a good book or show.

I've also heard that people think that we don't do anything...at all...all day long. Well, I can tell you this...I AM the "Daycare". I play with my children, feed them, clean up after them, and make sure they are safe...I just don't get paid for it.

I am the "preschool". I read with them, I sit with them and help them on their homework, I cry with them, I break up little fights/arguments and help them to learn to get along, I teach them to color and cut with scissors and encourage their creativity.

I am the house keeper, the chef, the accountant...

When they fall and skin their knee...I'm their nurse...

When they're sad because someone won't play with them, I have the pleasure of holding them and reminding them of how much they are loved. I am the "guidance counselor".

Being a stay-at-home mom is the hardest job I have ever had. I work a lot of overtime...24/7...I never see a paycheck with my name on it...which means I never get a raise for a job well done...I also never have the opportunity to have a 6 month review where my boss tells me what a fantastic job I am doing...I get woken up in the middle of the night to get a drink for my 2 year old...and when one of the boys is sick I clean up after them...

The best part is...

My co-worker is the best I have ever had. He only works at home part-time, but when he does he's amazing! He is my best friend and we have an amazing work relationship. He is an amazing daddy and loves to play with our children.

Though the job is hard, and the pay is terrible, I wouldn't trade my job for anything. It is by far the most rewarding job I've ever had. So, for anyone who thinks we stay-at-home moms don't do anything...think again. Come spend a day with me at my home and see for yourself...it surely isn't all fun and games. But it is the most amazing I will ever have!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the way you share your joy in being a stay at home mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!

    We need to stick together and stand up for motherhood! I'm glad we're on the same team!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the exact same way! When our renters were moving in, the wife asked me what I do. I told her I stay home and she quickly replied "oh, I couldn't stay home and do nothing all day". I was quite upset! So I mentioned church, co-op and my etsy side business, besides all the work a mom does. How rude!

    ReplyDelete