Monday, March 7, 2011

6 Long Weeks!

Todd had decided many months ago that he wanted to attend AMS or Academy of Military Science. It's similar to Officer's Training School but for the Air National Guardsman. As the day grew closer for Todd to leave, my anxiety increased and I began to wonder how in the world I would take on this task. How would I do it? What if something happened while he was gone? So many scenarios ran rampant through my mind. Over and over they spilled into my thoughts as I tried desperately to mentally prepare. Finally, the day before he was to leave, I sat across from the Bishop for some counsel and felt prompted to ask him for a blessing. Walking out of his office I felt strengthened. I knew, with only a tiny bit of doubt, that I could do this.

Todd finished packing his bags and preparing himself for what would be one of the most challenging experiences of his life … and mine for that matter. We hadn’t been apart in years, except for small trips he had taken to Panama, etc. By the time the day to leave arrived there were many mixed emotions floating around our home. The boys didn’t want him to leave and the idea of 6 whole weeks apart seemed daunting. Alyssa, too young to understand, just knew something was coming.

Early in the morning … way too early … Todd loaded his car and we said our goodbyes … our tearful goodbyes. I wasn’t going to cry, but try as I might, I couldn’t hold back the flow of emotion. It took me a long time to allow myself to get back to sleep. Once the tears stopped, and I finally relaxed, I fell into my bed and fell asleep.

Along the way to Alabama, Todd called to check in. He let me know where he was and how he was doing. We even spoke a bit on Sunday. On Monday evening he was allowed a 2 minute phone call. He called to let me know he was safe and sound, but wouldn’t be able to call me for a while. I was thankful to hear his voice … and a little nervous about not being able to talk to him each day. On Wednesday night, I was at church for Scouts when I received a phone call … the number didn’t look like anything I recognized, so I answered. I was please and surprised to hear Todd’s voice on the other end of the line. He had received special permission to call me because he had not taken enough pairs of Dress Blues pants with him. He needed me to overnight them. Then he told me what a hard time he was having. They had to lock their personal belongings in a drawer…which included his cell phone … turned off. They had given them manuals to read … which they were expected to read and already know. They were getting yelled at left and right … or as they called it “Overhead Correction”. Every time his flight did something wrong they had to drop and do push-ups. They were constantly doing sit-ups, flutter kicks, planks and lots of marching. He had no idea before he left that he was going to be in an environment so similar to basic training. He was feeling down about it … considering the fact that he had worked so hard to become a Master Sergeant. He wondered if he really wanted to be there.

He pushed forward, working hard, studying for the tests … and at the end of the day he made time to read his scriptures and say his prayers. Once I learned that he read and prayed before bed, I began doing to same thing so that we could feel a little closer together.

Finally Sunday came and he was able to call … for a whopping 10 minutes. I was so thankful to hear his voice, even if it was for such a small amount of time.
I spent a lot of time on my knees … praying for Todd, and for our family. I know that Father in Heaven heard my prayers and blessed us immensely. For the first time … ever … I was able to fall asleep while he was gone. I felt at peace, knowing that we were all being watched over.

Eventually … after a few weeks we were able to talk on the phone every night. What a blessing that was. Not only did we talk, but we emailed as well. Throughout the day, when I felt prompted, I would sit and write my thoughts to him. Those emails became precious times for me to share with Todd my inner thoughts and feelings and share what was happening in our home. I treasured the replies and enjoyed our phone calls. It’s amazing and beautiful to see how much our relationship has grown over the years. It has changed and morphed and developed into this awesome marriage. I don’t see him the way I once did, when we first met. He is so much more to me, and I to him.

Graduation was coming … and I was down … sad …jealous … that I would not be able to attend. I expressed those feelings to my wonderful husband and he shared in my disappointment. We simply didn’t know how we could make it happen. Unbeknownst to me … Todd mentioned it to his mother. Not too long after that, I received a voice message from my Mother-in-law … she had an idea … so finally I called. I was sure that whatever her idea was … it wasn’t going to allow me to go see Todd. I laugh now, thinking that I should have had a better attitude!

My Mother-in-Law offered for her and Dad to drive up from Texas, pick me up, and then drive to Alabama. My mind was overwhelmed with the idea and the possibility. I needed to find people to take care of the boys. I needed to find someone to dog sit. I needed to find a formal dress to wear to the banquet dinner. I needed to get everything in order in about 2 weeks.

In a matter of a couple of days I found someone to take on the enormous task of taking care of an extra 4 children. What a wonderful friend. Elizabeth and her family are amazing! But I already knew that, and that is why I felt comfortable leaving my boys in her care. She did an amazing job. I didn’t worry a bit. What a fantastic blessing and an answer to my prayers she was.

So the search for the perfect … modest … dress was on. It was ON! I searched several sights. I called a couple of companies. I read the fine print. I started to feel like I would never be able to get an appropriate dress. Most companies require a minimum of 5-6 weeks to get the dress ready and shipped. Well, that would be fine if I didn’t need it in less than 2 weeks! I finally found a few dresses on www.beautifullymodest.com. They could ship it in 2-3 days!!! I was disappointed to find that they didn’t have my favorite dresses in my size … but they had a pretty red one … in a size larger … and I could get it taken in. Okay … fine. I went for it. I ordered that … found some cute black heels …and anyone who knows me knows that I do NOT wear heels … but I would do anything to impress my husband! I also found a cute black purse … and some tights … with hearts on them!

I decided to order another dress … a less dressy one … for graduation. It was one that Todd had mentioned that he REALLY liked the looks of. So, I ordered that one, as well, as a surprise.

While getting ready to go, I felt like I was going to go insane. So much to do … so little time … I started to have to prioritize those things that were most important. Don’t have time to finish the laundry … oh well … that can wait. Don’t have time to finish cleaning stinky, cluttery bedrooms … oh well … that can wait.
Tuesday morning finally came and Alyssa and I were on the road with Todd’s parents. The boys were in good hands and I took a deep breath! Everything was falling neatly into place.

12 hours later … we arrived at our hotel in Alabama. What a welcomed sight to see my handsome and amazing husband standing outside, waiting for me. The next few days are a bit of a blur …

A trip to the store for items forgotten…

A tour of OTS dorms, and other rooms and buildings…

Running back to the hotel to change…

Taking the State Oath…

Running back to the hotel to get ready for the Formal Banquet…

Getting nails done … and hair done …

Rushing out the door again…

Enjoying a tasty steak dinner, and amazingly … some interesting speakers…

Getting up early … packing the car … rushing to the base for Graduation…

Rush … rush … rush … rushing…

Watching graduation…

A funny … rushing up to the front to take pictures of Todd ringing the bell, and receiving his official document stating that he is now a Second Lieutenant … my decorative tights … which were thigh highs … started rolling down my leg. Oh Holy Cow! I prayed so hard that they would at least stay above my knee … and thankfully they did! How embarrassing would that have been? I quickly went back to my seat and proceeded to remove the cursed thigh highs. Note to self … never wear thigh highs again! That crisis averted … I was able to sit and visit with Todd’s brother, John, and his wife, Cherry, and their children while we half listened/watched the rest of the graduates … graduate.

Next the parade …

Then he was officially released from what seemed like … prison. He now had use of his cell phone, car and could hug and kiss me whenever he wanted to … since he was again in civilian clothing. You know … you gotta watch out for that PDA while in uniform!

We found a BBQ restaurant to eat at and enjoyed listening to the local accent. The company was pleasant, the food was delish, and the time spent with family … priceless!

We are finally home and enjoying sleeping in our own bed again. It’s amazing to me, as I look back, I can see Heavenly Father’s hand in this experience. He blessed us so much. He knew what we needed, and when we needed it most. I’m so thankful for this experience … and I’m glad it’s over!

2 comments:

  1. What an ordeal! Your relationship is so touching. I love the way you described it. I feel the same way about our marriage and how it will be after another 5 years, plus more.

    I am so happy you go through it, that he got through it, that it's over and you were helped to attend graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I found myself holding my breath, and gasping for air in between, feeling what you were saying. I am exhausted for you! :D And also, very happy that you got to see your sweetheart graduate, and that you shared your journey here.

    It is amazing that whatever we experience in life, looking back, we can see we were never alone......Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete