Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I Embarrassed My Kids

I'm chuckling to myself as I think about it!

This morning didn't go quite as smoothly as yesterday. But, all things considered, the morning still turned out pretty good.

We got in the car to drive to school, just in time. Everyone was buckled, coats were on and some of them actually got zipped. Bellies were full, teeth were brushed, and I think most everyone had on clean clothing. :)

I turned on the newest Rascal Flatts CD and the first song has a pretty good...get up and go beat. I haven't yet learned all the words to the songs, since I haven't made the dedicated effort to listen to it every day. I WILL know the words eventually, so that I can sing along. What's the point of good music if we can't belt it out along with them?

So I completely embarrassed my children instead!

I started dancing in my seat. Callin' out to each of the kids, trying to get them to dance along. Alyssa joins in, a huge grin across her face, blue eyes sparkling with happiness.

Max bops a little to the music, smiling to himself, and looking at Alyssa, cracking up at me....My hands are waving, my head is bopping, I'm clapping, tapping the brakes to make the kids' heads bop...since they weren't going to join me in my craziness.

Alex sat straight faced in the front seat. I poked him, sang to him, giggled and he kept telling me no. He'd grin a little and then quickly regain his calm composure. "You're embarrassing me Mom!"

That only made me laugh harder and get sillier. Who's gonna know who I am as I drive by? No one! I pointed out that probably most of the people who even noticed us were thinking, "I wish I was having that much fun". Maybe we made a couple people smile, or shake their heads. Who knows.

Colin refused to join in. I couldn't even make him crack a smile. "MOM! You're embarrassing us!" He wants to be just like his big brother.

Here we are...driving on this back road with only the trees, the snow, some cows and a few horses to notice us. Who in the world would see us being silly?

I said, "No one is even out here! Who's gonna see us having a little fun?"

It didn't matter. They were dead set against being silly in the car.

After the boys got out at the school and we all said our routine "goodbyes" and "I love yous", Alyssa asked to listen to the music again. She was having fun clapping and bopping to the music with her silly mom. She hasn't gotten to an age where she cares what anyone thinks. What a precious age!

I hope we made a couple heads turn, I hope we made someone smile, and maybe someone shook their head but smiled to themselves thinking they wished they were having that much fun!

2 comments:

  1. I love doing that!

    I love seeing their embarrassed faces and hugging them and kissing them right through the embarrassment.

    And I love having little ones that think I'm cool.

    I'm glad you have some of each, too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would we actually be parents if we didn't embarrass our kids?! lol

    I'm glad that you had a great morning and fun in the commute.

    ReplyDelete