Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

I have always been a fan of Martin Luther King Jr. I have a great respect for all that he did. Not only did he make a huge difference in peoples' live, he also has a great birthday. I was born on the same day! So, on my 18th birthday my family plastered my parents' apartment with pictures of Martin Luther King. It was one of those birthdays that will always stay in my memory. So, in honor of this man we have a day off from school!

I started my morning off earlier than I had planned because I woke up wheezing and coughing. I don't know what I am allergic to, but it all started when I was pregnant this last time and it comes and goes still. So while the house was still quiet with sleeping kids I dug out my scriptures and manuals for next weeks lessons. It was nice to read, and ponder in peace and quiet. After about an hour the family began to wake up and make their way into the living room. Time for the day to begin!

The house is a mess, dishes are all over the counter and laundry is piled sky high. The boys are running around the house playing happily with toys; making sound effects that only boys can make and make well. Have you ever tried to make the sounds that they do when they are playing pretend. My mouth just can't make that happen! So, they are running up and down the stairs carrying their toys and pretending to be their assigned characters. And yes, I said assigned. One person usually starts by saying, "I call Batman!" The next says, "I call Joker!" and so on until they all have their assignments. Then playtime begins. It is the most organized play I have seen. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that their mother is a little OCD?

Alyssa is sitting in the swing watching this craziness! Todd is in the semi heated garage changing the oil in the vehicles. I went to check on him a while ago and found his lying under the van, light shining under the van so he can see, getting very upset with a piece that would not come loose. Now if any of you know Todd you know that he hates it when things don't go smoothly with cars or plumbing. I happened to come in just as he was about to throw something. So, I gave him the advice that he always gives me when I am frustrated with the budget, "Put it down, walk away and take a short break. When you come back to it you will be able to see things more clearly and with less anger." He didn't really like that. He wondered how that would really help the nut loosen any better than it was right then. I went back into the house. A while later I checked on him again. He was in a much better mood as he was able to loosen the part successfully. Isn't it amazing how something like changing the oil can make our mood so sour so quickly!

As I hold my warm, sleeping, sweet smelling girl I look forward to a day of cleaning, Visiting Teaching and kids playing. I hope all of you have a blissful day!

4 comments:

  1. Kara- You are so cute. I miss your little...actually growing, family so much. Thanks for the invite to your blog. I love reading about you guys. I couldn't remember if I sent you an invite to our blog or not, so I just sent you one.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara,

    Thanks for the invite. You can find my blog by following my name to my profile. My personal blog is called Personal Pensieve.

    I'm delighted you finally got your girl. They sure are fun, aren't they? We are loving every minute with Rachel.

    How old is Alyssa now? I can't believe that Rachel is already 7+ months old. Where does the time go?

    Your blog is beautiful, and I can't wait to read the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHH I LOVE IT ... your blog that is! I can't wait to spend some time with you all soon. Maybe on Saturday if the Piano thing happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You already know how I feel. I love the pictures & all the little insights into your day!!! Never though I would be interestered in reading a blog, but I never had grandchildren & a daughter on one. It's cool to read how your days are going, & hear about how the kids are doing.You work so hard, & I am so proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete