Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Joys of cooking new things!

I love to try new recipes and see if I can make them come out right. I made some gluten free/dairy free bread this afternoon and my hopes were high. If you have baked with gf flour before you know that it is a little more tricky than regular white flour. So, I got all of these new ingredients and put them together. I followed the instructions and...when I took it out it had collapsed in the middle. BUMMER! But the good thing is that it smells good and still tastes good. So, it isn't a failure, just a good learning experience. I figure that each time it comes out funny, I learn something new and work my way toward becoming a pro.

For those who are wondering...my ear is getting better. It is still ringing, but I can hear much more with it. The end is in sight!

Colin decided today while I was baking the bread that he would stomp on the floor in the kitchen. I asked him to stop so that the bread wouldn't fall, ha ha ha, and he looked at the floor and stomped for all he was worth. So, maybe the whole problem is just...Colin, NOT my baking skills!

Alex got an award today for bringing his grades up. Having extra help is really making a difference.

Last night all the boys went to Wal*Mart with Todd to spend their birthday money. They all came home with BAKUGAN toys. For those who have no idea what in the world that is: it is a small sphere about the size of a walnut. When you put it on a metal surface if pops open. They are different colors and each of them have certain strengths. I guess they can be used as a game between two players. They sat at the table for quite a while just checking out their new toys and comparing them. They went to bed happy!

Alyssa is 5 1/2 months old and she is turning over from back to tummy and back again. She doesn't really like rice cereal or apple sauce, so I put a piece of apple in one of those mesh things (they are for babies!) and she got to suck and gnaw on the apple without any worry of choking. She loved it. Excuse me! What is the difference between an apple chunk and apple sauce? Just wondering!

We finally got the wall paper removed in the boys' old room upstairs and now we need to repair the wall and paint it! We were going to do that this weekend but Todd's brother needs some help, so we are putting it off for a little bit.

Do you ever just want to eat with out thinking about it? I do!!!! I think I need a bit of a break, but I don't want to completely ruin what I have accomplished. I have decided that I need to just keep plugging away and save the splurging for special occasions. I could sit and eat a whole bag of cheese its if I had the chance. That is just bad. I think I will hold off until I can eat chocolate again. Then I can splurge!!!

Todd's outside stomping down the mole tunnels so that tomorrow we can find the active ones and put poison in them. Sorry, to all you animal lovers, but we tried the humane way and the lawn got so much more horrible. I swear we have enough moles for the whole neighborhood. But last year the neighbor treated his lawn and they came over to us! What about what we did to treat the lawn? I guess it didn't work. So, watch your step...it might cave in.

4 comments:

  1. So glad it tasted good. Don't worry you'll get the hang of it and before you know it you'll be doing it without even thinkin! I know because you have always been an amazing cook and baker!!! You taught me sooo much back in the D days. :0

    oh, hey, if the 'fallen' part tastes different just toast it for croutons or add italian seasoning and garlic and salt and whirl it in the food processor--voila italian bread crumbs. even 'failures' turn into something really useful. (Otherwise how would we ever be worth anything except in our Saviors eyes. :) ) Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny that you have a mole problem I took a gardening class at church the other night and the guy said that if you want to keep them away there are these stick that you can get (they require D batts) and you shove them in the ground. The transmit at a frequency that the moles can't handle and they move out of your yard. That way you are still staying humane. Just an idea you can look into. Sorry I didn't call you back tonight, it has been crazy and you can see I now have time to get on the computer :) Keep up your efforts on the bread. I know that you will master it before long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moles hate human hair. It reeks to them. So next time you cut the boys hair, sprinkle it around last know mole sites. It will prevent them from coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard about both mole ideas before, and they might work, but you also can just get rid of their food source. If you're going to put poison out, poison the grubs they eat--regular lawn pesticide usually has instructions for killing grubs on it--no food, no moles (and I think in MO it is a vole, not mole, problem :)) We didn't want to put out pesticides, so we just let our dog kill the voles for us! She thinks it's fun, and we lose the dangerous sinkholes.

    The difference between apple chunks and applesause is applesauce is cooked--and sometimes sweetened. Fresh apple is the way to go!

    PS--love the picture of you taking Alyssa's picture in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete