Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ahhh...it's General Conference time again!

I am blessed at this time to be able to sit in my own living room and watch General Conference on my own TV. And since I am not feeling up to going much of anywhere it is nice to be able to stay caught up...and not miss anything.

I loved the first talk. Mind you I can't remember his name at this point, but he was right after President Monson. What I got from his talk was awesome. I have heard this information before but I think I was at the right place for it to penetrate my heart.

I am going to write my thoughts after this talk.

So often we think we NEED new things. For example, we might think we need a new car, a new purse, a new jacket or new kitchen gadget, but they aren't really needs, but wants. That new movie does not NEED to adorn our shelves.

I have been caught in the trap of feeling like I needed to buy all the new movies that we like right when they hit the shelves. I have done this for too long and am trying like crazy to only rent them at the Redbox instead. Then I am making a list of the ones we like the best and they can be purchased later as a gift for Christmas or birthday.

Just because we see a new car and want it doesn't mean we need it. I loved how this brother talked about how he and his wife would discuss these things. They would decide what they could afford and move forward. We might have the money for it, but we probably should be saving that money for other things like: our sons' missions, or their education, or for car repairs or home repairs, or even for that family vacation.

We are focusing all of our money right now to save for a family vacation to see our family. What is more fun and more memorable then spending quality time with grand parents, aunts, uncles and old friends? We get to go 4-wheeling, swimming in the lake, walking the rocks at the ocean and many more things. Every time the kids ask if they can have something I tell them, "We don't have the money right now." Then they ask, "Why not?" And I respond, "Would you like to go to Maine to visit Gramma and Papa, Grandma and Grandpa, Aunt Juli & Uncle Scott, Uncle Doug & Aunt Heidi?" To which they reply, "Yes!" And I say, "Then we need to save ALL of our money to do that." Then they go off on their way. They do ask me this question many times a week, but I keep reminding them of our goal.

So, after this awesome talk I am more dedicated to our cause. I am more focused on getting things paid for with cash, paying off debt and living within our means. So what if our couch is worn...so what if our table is a little too snug...so what if our bed is a little creaky...we have more than most and have more than sufficient for our needs. We are so blessed. I am so grateful to a loving Father in Heaven who blesses us with so much in abundance. So, the new furniture will wait, the new table will wait and the new bed will wait. There will always be new items to buy, but they won't always be a necessity. They would be a luxury. I would rather have worn out furniture and a basement full of our years supply of food. Wouldn't you?

Okay, I'll get off the soapbox now. Today while I was showering, Colin brought me in some flower (dandelions)and put them on the bathroom counter for me. I smiled when I got out of the shower to dry off and saw their bright yellow blossoms lying there for me. It was a gesture to show how much Colin thinks of me and loves me. How sweet. Then when I went into my bedroom I found another little pile of the same bright yellow blossoms on the corner of my bed with a note saying, "Love Alex". A smile spread across my face as I felt so much love and affection from these small and simple deeds. These young men may get on my nerves at times, but they are so sweet. Again I am blessed.

Alyssa woke up with a huge smile on her face. All I have to do is say HI to her and she grins so big, it seems to over take her face. Her eyes sparkle and her cheeks get pudgier. I stop brushing out my hair and peek at her on my bed just so I can see that adorable little smile, just for me.

TJ decided the boys were all going to play Marvel characters. So, he helped each of his brother find an old Halloween costume to put on. Max is Spider Man. Alex is the black Spider Man. Colin is the Human Torch and TJ is the Thing. They are playing outside together and working to save the world...one butt kicking at a time. I hope that one day they will "save the world" by sharing the gospel and bringing light to those who are in darkness. We have talked before about the fact that our Savior, Jesus Christ, is the biggest and best of the Super Heroes.

So, on with my day. I am rejuvenated, clean and smelling good, and Spiritually fed! Now I just need to hear again!!! This too shall pass, as my seminary teacher, Janice Record used to say!

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog, you rock, kara! hey, i'm having a tupperware party on th 14th if you wanna come. email me your address and i'll send you an invite. briannejohnsen@gmail.com

    even if you can't come, we need to get together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I really enjoyed his talk to. I have alreay had the talk with the girls of the cutting back. They asked once for something and I explained again why and they haven't bugged me to much since. I signed up for Netflix you should look into it. The girls have been coming up with things for us to do since we are not going out and spending money anymore. They have fun planning our fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, bawling my eyes out because you are so awesome!!!! What sweet boys we do have!!! And the cutting back has become a big issue with us, too. We have been putting in food storage, & Dad is right into it all of a sudden. It's so cool! I remember having 4 daughters who always wanted more than we could afford...one of whom, when I would tell them we didn't have the money would say, "Grammie has money enough. Go ask her!" Not sure but I remember it being a daughter named Kara. I could be wrong. My, how she's grown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Alyssa is sick and asleep on the couch; she might roll off, so I can't leave her, so I am catching up on other people's blogs. Sounds like life is as full as ever at your house. Congrats on the amazing weight loss. :) We missed you guys at Jacob's b-day party--our shrieky, girly girls sure gave Steve a run for his money!!

    ReplyDelete