Friday, April 3, 2009

I want a Special Diet too!

The hearing is no better today, but I am hoping and praying that it will be better soon!

I am spending some time today online searching for Stevia. It is a natural sweetener. I want it in bulk, not in little packets.

I love researching online, but find that it could take up my whole day if I let it!

Alyssa is in her exersaucer and is talking. Colin is watching Tarzan.

After talking to a friend the other day about Max and Autism, I realized that I hadn't seen things as clearly as I should. Max has fewer and fewer tantrums and I told her that he didn't really have any lately. Well...then he had one. Let the kicking and screaming begin! He stomps his feet, screams at the top of his lungs, slams doors (which makes pictures fall off the wall sometimes), hits, pulls hair, or shoves anyone close to him. Don't raise your voice, cause it will make it worse. Yikes! I think sometimes we forget when things are going so well how bad they can get.

We don't take Max to Walmart or any other store because he can't handle it. He hates it when we are watching a show or movie and have to shut it off when it is in the middle. He freaks out. So, stay out of his way. We went to Culver's a few weeks ago and I forgot Max's enzymes. So, I had to go back home and get them. The problem was that Max chose to stay at Culver's with Daddy and the rest of his brothers who were eating. When I got there and ordered his patience was thin. It took a few minutes to get the food to us. Max was less than pleased with me. He wanted to pull my hair and hit me. I told him he could not hit and that he needed to be nice to me and that the food would be here in a few minutes. Finally, the food came and he ate. These are the times that you hope that he doesn't go onto a huge meltdown right in Culver's at dinner time. Luckily he didn't. But next time we might not be quite so lucky.

Don't get me wrong, most of the time he is pretty happy. He is sweet and can be very affectionate. He just has his moments...just like we all do...it is just a lot harder for Max.

The new gluten free diet for Alex is going well. We ran out of bread and I haven't felt well enough to make more. I did make him waffles this morning though. I am working on getting more ingredients for my gluten free cabinet so I can make him more bread, pizza crust and other items. I am going to try pizza for him with no cheese. He said he would eat it, so we will see.

Colin keeps asking when he can have a special diet. Man, if he only knew. I try to make food items that I can make for all the family like: chocolate chip cookies, or pancakes and waffles, etc. I first clean the kitchen VERY thoroughly. Then I make the gluten free food, get it all put into a container and put it away. Then I make the regular food. Sometimes I just don't have a gluten free version though. Last night we ate scrambled eggs and tator tots. Okay, that probably wasn't the healthiest idea, but man I don't think well when I can't hear.

I will hopefully feel well enough to make pizza tonight. Then all will be happy! I have to research one ingredient though before I can make Alex's pizza. So fun! I learn something new every day!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling better! Being sick is yucky.

    I read your latest post and this one and enjoyed them both thoroughly.

    By the way, I get Stevia from Frontier. One pound of it lasts forever. I got it sometime last summer, I think and I still have some. We're redoing the co-op, and no, it's not to late although I should probably talk to you about how it's changing.

    ReplyDelete