Sunday, September 16, 2012

Strawberry Cake

In my search for a strawberry cake recipe for Alyssa's upcoming birthday, I found this recipe.  I do not what to be buying the strawberry cake mix from the store with all of the artificial ingredients, etc.  Also, I'm not a fan of the boxed Jello, but thought I'd at least give it a try in this recipe.  So tonight, while making dinner, I made this cake. It was delicious!!!!  So good that I have decided to try again and use some all natural gelatin instead.  Knox clear gelatin would work, but I have to figure out how much sugar and pure strawberry extract to use as well.  I changed the recipe to show the changes I made when I made the cake tonight.  I took out a container of frosting I had stored in the freezer, thawed it out and added about a cup of pureed frozen strawberries (with a little sugar added) to it.  I filled the layers with the frosting and then frosted it too. OH MY!  You could taste the yummy strawberries and the best part is knowing that...for the most part...it was natural.  I'll definitely be testing it out without the box of Jello next time.  Remind me to have guests over so I don't eat it all by myself!!  ;)


Strawberry Cake

2 cups white sugar
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs room temperature, separated
2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry puree made from frozen sweetened strawberries
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the yogurt. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree. Whip egg whites until soft peaks form.  Fold egg whites into batter.  Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in their pans over a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, before tapping out to cool completely.


http://anwjohnston.blogspot.com/2012/06/diy-cloth-diaper-safe-laundry-detergent.html

No comments:

Post a Comment