Saturday, September 29, 2012

Oooh! Tasty!

I LOVE new recipes!  So today as I was reading a few posts on facebook I came across this recipe that someone had pinned.  They are in the oven as I type!  I can't wait to try them!!!  And I can feel good about telling you that they ARE low fat and healthy.  :) So many recipes make that claim but are NOT what they claim.  
(My notes are in purple!  ;o) 
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares
by Gingerbread Bagels
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast snack dessert bars low fat healthy

Healthy oatmeal squares perfect for breakfast or a snack
Ingredients (9 squares)
  • 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (I used dark brown sugar since that's what I had in my cabinet.)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk since I'm trying to eliminate dairy for Cassie)
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 large mashed banana
  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
Instructions
  • Mix together the quick cooking oats, light brown sugar, baking powder, kosher salt and ground cinnamon. (I took the time to mash the clumps of brown sugar with the back on the spoon so as not to have clumps when it's all done)
  • Add in the vanilla extract, milk and egg. Mix the ingredients together.
  • Then add in the mashed banana and peanut butter. Combine all of the ingredients.
  • Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
  • Cut into squares and enjoy!
For more information go to this website.  
http://gingerbreadbagels.com/2011/03/22/peanut-butter-banana-oatmeal-squares/

These came out so tasty we munched on them all day. They were gone by the end of the day.  TJ didn't really enjoy the banana flavor, so today I tried changing them a bit.  Here's the recipe:

1 3/4 cups quick oats
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup almond milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter

Mix together oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Add honey, vanilla, milk and egg.  Mix well.  Then add in the peanut butter.  Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8x8 inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  After 10 minutes of baking, place a baking sheet on the bottom rack, under the pan to protect it from burning.  Once done, let cool for 15 minutes.  (Note: if you don't let them cool they will completely crumble.  Once they have cooled they can be cut and served. The consistency is NOT the same as the above recipe, but similar and still so tasty!)

No comments:

Post a Comment