Monday, October 18, 2010

Marriage

I have been in deep contemplation since yesterday just thinking about how to give correct or inspired advice to a friend about their marriage. I struggle with what to say and how to say it. It takes me a lot of time to ponder the situation to really see what I think is the best advice I could give a friend. I think what I have come up with is very basic and simple but it works.

First and foremost: make daily prayer a priority. Roll out of bed, if you have to, and begin your day with prayer. Through out the day stop and pray at those times when you need it or feel inspired. Pray where it's quiet. Pray where you can ponder and listen for guidance. Pray with an open heart and mind so that when you receive an answer you will have a desire to act upon it.

Second: MAKE the time to read your scriptures. I say MAKE because it's not easy to do this sometimes. Make it your priority and do it. One verse, a column, a page, or just five minutes. Whatever you need to do to get in your daily dose.

Third: prayerfully study the Marriage and Family Relations manual put out by the church. It's a fantastic book.

Fourth: prayerfully read "The Family; A Proclamation to the World". It tells what our roles are a women and men. Our rolls, as women and men, are unique and divinely appointed.

Fifth: talk to one another often. Open communication is the key to any relationship. Speak kind words. I can't stress that enough. Think of how your words would affect you if your spouse said them.

I am not an expert and I don't know everything about marriage relationships. I just know how important they are. If we take the time to work on changing ourselves instead of focusing on other's flaws, we will be much better for it in the end.

I am so thankful to be married to the best man I know. He is wonderful. He always supports me and is willing to help where needed. He is patient with my many flaws. He is my best friend. I am so thankful that my Father in Heaven blessed me with such a fantastic husband.

1 comment:

  1. Great advice. My first recommendation usually is to always communicate with an attitude of understanding and willingness to change.
    I agree with everything in your post. Well said, Kara!

    ReplyDelete