Friday, July 20, 2012

Enchiladas...Yummy!


I have used either the canned stuff or the packets that you add to the tomato paste and water, in the past. Needless to say, I have not made enchiladas in a long time.  I hate all the msg and other yucky ingredients.  Today I searched online for recipes and this one had awesome reviews.  I added a couple of ingredients and decreased the salt.  It is delish!!!  

After making the sauce...I poured a thin layer of sauce in bottom of 9x13 pan. Then I cooked up about 2 pounds of chicken along with some onion and bell pepper in some canola oil.  Once the chicken was cooked through I added the Enchilada sauce to the meat mixture.  I scooped about 1/4-1/3 cup of the mixture into a small taco size tortilla, sprinkled on some cheese and laid it, seam side down, in the prepared pan.  Once the pan is full, pour more sauce over the top to coat.  Then sprinkle more cheese on.  Bake @ 375 degrees until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.  Enjoy!!! 

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8-1/4 cup chili powder, to taste with more chili powder the spicier ( I used 3Tbsp)
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt (1/4 tsp)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons sugar
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
cayenne, to taste if you want more spice (I didn't use this.  My kids don't like spicy foods at all!) 


Directions:  Heat oil with cornstarch in saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 1 minute.  Add in chili powder and cook for another minute.  Gradually stir in the broth, mixing well with a whisk to make sure you get out the lumps.  Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Simmer until thickened on low.
http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-enchilada-sauce-222519?oc=linkback

2 comments:

  1. PS SOOOOOOOO Yummy! Kenny wanted the recipe, so now I can show it to him! Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete