Friday, May 11, 2012

After watching a heartwarming, awe inspiring, amazing video this morning about a mother who chose to keep her baby, even though she KNEW he would have something wrong...I am so thankful for my blessings. This amazing mother gave birth to an sweet baby boy who not only had a cleft palate but cleft eyes. He eyes did not form. He is blind. You can probably imagine the stares, whispers, pointed fingers, and horrible comments that she received as a result. In the video she tells how hard it was at first. And then she tells of the joy that came and continues to bless her life. It's one of those stories that makes you feel so exceeding thankful for the tiny blessings that are all around you every day. This mother chose to keep this baby, not abort it. And when she did, she made a choice to be blessed each day by the sweet spirit of her son. She chose to love him the way that our Father in Heaven loves him. She chose the better way. I have only had small moments in my life when people have made rude comments about my parenting skills because I had a toddler who was throwing a huge screaming tantrum in the middle of the check-out lane. When that has happened I have wished I could say, "My child has Autism. You should go take some time to go learn about it." I have wanted to be unkind in return. But usually I would simply gather my children and get into my car as quickly as I could...while I was close to tears. Eventually we stopped going to stores with our toddler. Now those days seem like they happened eons ago. That toddler is now 10. NOW...he can go into stores with me and knows what to expect and how to handle it. These experiences and those of others make me think how vitally important it is that we show love and kindness to others. Instead of pointing fingers...instead of whispering negative comments... if more people could simply smile and allow themselves to be touched by the spirit of another. Lend a helping hand or find a positive thing to say when we see another who is struggling. One moment at a time, we can all make this world a better place to live in.

3 comments:

  1. Very well said! I saw that video this week as well, and used a fair amount of tissue as i watched it. What a sweet story! Few people really understand what it is like to have a child who is different, and can't help it. Feeling the eyes of judgement (or maybe sheer curiosity) staring at you is something I think I've gotten used to, but it still hurts my heart just a little. You just want to say to people, "You have no idea what a blessing this child is, or how sweet he is when he is in a comfortable environment. You have no idea how much joy he brings to my life. All you may see is screaming toddler dropping to the floor, I see an angel". Maybe I'll get up enough guts to say that to someone, someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Heidi threw a tantrum at the Nelson-Atkins museum the other day. It lasted only a few minutes and I handled it quietly. Someone came up to my in-laws [who were with us] and said, "You guys should just go home so the rest of us can enjoy the museum."

    Autism or not--some people have lost the light of Christ. I guess that just means the rest of us need to shine a little brighter!

    ReplyDelete