Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Yum!

I'm not usually the one in our family who craves or even desires fast food. Once in a while, it's okay, but definitely not on a regular basis. Every morning as I drive my two youngest boys to school I pass by our local McDonald's. In this small town there's not a lot to pass...don't blink...ya might miss the town!

This morning the temperature was a nice comfy 75 degrees. I rolled down my windows and turned Taylor Swift up as loud as I dared...someone we pass by might not enjoy Taylor as much as I do! So, when we passed by McDonald's my nose was assaulted with the smells of breakfast. I forced my foot to stay on the gas pedal and drove on by. I don't NEED fast food. No one does, for that matter. Then a wondrous thought came to me...I could make my OWN yummy hash browns!

Once I got Lady Bug settled into my bed, with a cup of milk, to watch a show, I went to work. I peeled and grated 4 potatoes and set them aside. Then I went to work make my Mother-in-law's Buttermilk Biscuit recipe. I love love love simple and easy. And this recipe is just that! While I waited for the oven to heat up I began my search online to find the trick for making good hash browns. Here's what I found...the more moisture you can get out of the potatoes, the crispier they will be.

(Lady Bug came running in to the kitchen to see what the yummy smells were. She spotted the biscuits right away and said, "Oh! Biscuits!")

For the hash browns...first I tried pressing them between paper towels, but that didn't seem to work as well as I had hoped. Next I got out a small colander, placed it on top of a bowl and pressed the grated potatoes into it. This worked like a charm!


At first I had too much oil in my pan. I poured some out, heated it up and proceeded to experiment with the hash browns. Here are some things to remember: don't make them too thin on the edges, as they will burn there...make sure you only have a tablespoon or two of oil or butter in the pan for each one, and drain them on paper towels. There...I think I got it all. Pretty simple really.



Next I decided I needed some eggs. I prefer my eggs to be cooked over medium. Yes...for those who don't know me...I'm a wee bit anal. I like the yoke runny and the whites COMPLETELY cooked. I can't stand runny whites. Makes me feel icky. Anyway...I cooked my eggs and then thought ...this meal isn't complete.

I'm the type of person who likes vegetables any time of the day. No meal is complete, in my opinion, without either a fresh fruit or veggie. So, today, I finished this meal off with a cucumber, strait from my Dad's and Sister's garden all the way from Maine. (It's my last one...sniff...sniff) Now, some people would say, "You can't eat cucumber with that! It's just doesn't go together!" Well...I say there ARE no rules with cooking. You can eat what you like and what sounds good together...any time you want to! So there!! :) For those of you who believe veggies don't go with breakfast...break out the fruit. Again... I say there are no rules with cooking! Then again...I don't like to do what I'm told!

I'm no Rachel Ray...for that I am certain. But I like food...good tasting food! Who doesn't?? :)


Today I'm starting out my day with crunchy, crispy hash browns, tasty fried eggs, mouth watering biscuits and crunchy delicious cucumbers! Where did the energy come from? I have no idea. What I do know is that I can't eat like this very often or Todd will have to roll me into the delivery room in November!

2 comments:

  1. That looks great! Some people make the mistake of not rinsing their potatoes beforehand, you end up with a gluey starchy mess. I love home-made "fast food"! That's what I do. Love my own Egg McMuffins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at the stage where all I want is to eat and eat and eat, too. It is hard to resist sometimes! Happy eating to you!

    ReplyDelete