Monday, August 29, 2011

Monday Morning

Today is the start of the second full week of the school year. Last week was crazy and busy and the routine I had created last year has become discombobulated and unusable. Having two children in middle school has created much less sleep for me! Sleep...will I ever get any again...maybe some day.

TJ seems to enjoy middle school. His friends that he made last year didn't end up in most of his classes and he's a little bummed. But I found that he is beginning to create new friendships already. I'm so thankful for that!

Alex went to school the first day of 6th grade and was nervous. The second day he came home and told me that middle school is going to be a piece of cake! I laughed! That's fantastic! What a great attitude to adopt after only two days. He is already making friends and connecting with old friends and he seems to be enjoying his school work. I'm hoping and praying that will continue.

So, with two in middle school, I must wake up at 6am, roll out of bed, stretch and carefully make my way down stairs to pull Alex from his deep slumber. He is not the kind of kid who wakes up easily and is not the type who can be left to get ready on his own. I stand in his room and gently call to him and coax him out of his warm bed, watch him climb down from the top bunk, and groggily find clothing to take to the bathroom. I remind him that he only needs 5 minutes in the shower and that he needs to be quick because there are two more people who need showers after he's done.

I climb, legs aching and tired, back up the stairs, now breathing heavily thanks to the sweet little Cassie who is 27 weeks gestation. I make my way to the kitchen, trying not to drag my feet as I walk, my legs still haven't recovered from the morning climb.

The counters in the kitchen are almost never clean in the morning. Go figure. I wash them down and begin making 5 lunches, all in a row. Each child likes his lunch a certain way, with certain items in it. Todd is no different. He feels a sandwich is not complete if it doesn't have chips to munch on along with it.

I hear Alex turn on the shower and note the time. In a few minutes I'll be descending the stairs again to tell him his time is up and he needs to finish.

TJ is quietly eating his breakfast at the table while I continue making lunches....slices of cucumber in this lunch...crunchy carrots in this one...two cookies for each lunch...Oh! Don't cut Todd sandwich in half...he's not a child...an apple in this lunch...peanut butter and jelly for Max, ham and cheese for Todd...and TJ...and Colin...I hope they eat it all today. Hmmm...what have I forgotten? Oh yes...Max needs an enzyme in his lunch. I blink my eyes, take a drink of cool water and try to clear my still sleepy head. Deep breath. I can stay awake for this...I know I can. I better get out Alex's medicine and vitamins so he can take them quickly.

Alex comes upstairs...takes his meds and vitamins and gets his breakfast ready. Today Alex is focused and is able to make good choices and get ready quickly. Thank goodness. Some days I spend most of my morning reminding him to stop talking so he can eat and get ready on time. Today was much more calm. A blessing.

Alyssa wakes up and I pick her up, sit in the kitchen chair, and hold her while smoothing her blond curls away from her face. She is calm now. I can put her down and continue.

TJ is done with his shower and is ready to help with chores. He feeds the lizard...oh I hope someone will want to take her home with them soon.

I pack the lunches in the lunch boxes and stuff them into the back packs....I don't want them to forget their lunch today. I remind the kids to put on deodorant, brush their teeth, put on their socks and shoes...go tell Dad it's time for morning prayer...do you have everything?...Goodbyes and I love you's and they head out the door. Now it's time to get Max and Colin finished. Deep breath. I'm so tired. How do other moms do this? Give myself a pep talk...I can do this.

Get the kids sitting down to eat breakfast...get dressed...brush teeth...feed the dog...get shoes and socks. Todd says his goodbyes and I love yous...kisses and hugs and Alyssa gives him "berzerts" to send him on his way. Now it's time for me to get dressed and ready to take the kids to school. Alyssa's dressed...curly hair going in all different directions...flip flops are on her feet...dog is in the kennel...it's time to get into the car. We drive the short distance to the school, pull in front of the building, park and let the boys out. More goodbyes and I love yous. Colin races to the door. Max takes his time. I watch to make sure they both make it inside and I drive home. A sigh of relief...that part of the day is done. Now on with the rest of my day. Maybe I'll find some energy somewhere...Once Cassie is born!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, all that makes me exhausted! I'm so glad you aren't in your first trimester having to do this, with being sick. You are so dedicated to being a wonderful wife and mother. Such an example to me. I hope you find the strength and sleep to function better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough to get back in the routine, isn't it?! Every year is so different too, so that's always fun. It also gets tricky when the kids are in different schools. Just hang in there. You are doing great. This sounds so familiar to me. It takes a lot to keep the order in our homes in the mornings, while trying to send your little ones off with a calm start to their day. Sometimes it's just hectic and we have to realize we are doing the best we can, and you are doing great sweetie. Keep up the great work. Thanks again for your sweet comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete